So I don’t really like soup. Or rather when I was younger I hated soup and every year I start to like soup a little more. Since I thought I hated soup I never tried to make soup. Tonight though, I decided I was going to make soup, eat the soup and maybe, just maybe like the soup. It has been very cold here, for me that is, and I have been craving something warm and cozy. So I decided that I was going to make soup to kill that craving. Since I am not in love with soup, I should try something hearty and filling to ease me into soup. I settled on taco soup. It is full of veggies, beans and meat, and of course I added cheese. So here is the recipe, which I got from Paula Deen. It is fantastic, and now I have a new recipe, a new soup recipe for the cold days and nights.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 (15 1/2-ounce) cans pinto beans
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can pink kidney beans
- 1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can tomatoes with chiles
- 2 (4 1/2-ounce) cans diced green chiles
- 1 (4.6-ounce) can black olives, drained and sliced, optional
- 1/2 cup green olives, sliced, optional
- 1 (1 1/4-ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (1-ounce) package ranch salad dressing mix
- Corn chips, for serving
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Grated cheese, for garnish
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
- Pickled jalapenos, for garnish
Brown the ground beef and onions in a large skillet; drain the excess fat, then transfer the browned beef and onions to a large slow cooker or a stockpot. Add the beans, corn, tomatoes, green chiles, black olives, green olives, taco seasoning, and ranch dressing mix, and cook in a slow cooker on low for 6 to 8 hours or simmer over low heat for about 1 hour in a pot on the stove. To serve, place a few corn chips in each bowl and ladle soup over them. Top with sour cream, cheese, green onions and jalapenos.
* Note, I don’t have a crockpot so I definitely simmered on the stove. I also used diced chicken breast instead of ground beef because that’s what I had on hand.